In the world of competitive gaming and professional esports, every advantage counts. One aspect that is often overlooked is the keyboard that players use. It’s the primary input device for any PC gamer, but for pros, it’s more than just a tool to type in commands. A good keyboard can make all the difference in terms of speed, accuracy, and comfort during long gaming sessions. So, what keyboard do most pros use? In this comprehensive analysis, we’ll explore the most popular keyboard brands and models among professional gamers and discuss why they’re preferred over others. Whether you’re a casual gamer or a pro, this analysis will give you valuable insights into the world of professional gaming keyboards.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as different professional gamers and streamers use a variety of keyboards depending on their preferences and needs. However, some popular options among pros include mechanical keyboards with customizable keycaps and backlighting, as well as keyboards with dedicated media controls and programmable buttons. Ultimately, the best keyboard for a pro gamer or streamer will depend on their individual playing style and what features they value most.
The Importance of Keyboards for Professionals
Factors Affecting Keyboard Choice
One of the most important factors for professionals when choosing a keyboard is ergonomics. This refers to the design of the keyboard and how it fits the user’s hands and typing style. A well-designed keyboard can reduce the risk of repetitive strain injuries and improve overall comfort during long periods of use. Some professionals may prefer keyboards with a split design, which separates the left and right halves of the keyboard, allowing for a more natural hand position. Others may prefer a keyboard with a positive feel, meaning that the keys provide a clear tactile feedback when pressed.
Another important factor for professionals is the key features of the keyboard. This includes the type of switches used, the keycap material, and any additional functionality such as programmable keys or backlighting. Some professionals may prefer mechanical switches, which provide a tactile and audible feedback when pressed, while others may prefer membrane switches for their quiet and low-profile design. Keycap material can also be a consideration, with some professionals preferring thicker, more durable keycaps for extended use.
Customization options are also an important factor for many professionals. This includes the ability to program keys for specific functions, as well as customizing the lighting or backlighting of the keyboard. Some professionals may also prefer keyboards with customizable layouts, allowing them to place keys in positions that are most comfortable for their hands.
Finally, durability is an important factor for many professionals. A keyboard that can withstand the rigors of daily use and maintain its performance over time is essential. This includes factors such as the construction of the keyboard, the materials used, and the quality of the switches. Some professionals may also prefer keyboards with additional protection against spills or dust.
Popular Keyboards Among Professionals
1. Mechanical Keyboards
Mechanical keyboards have been a popular choice among professionals for years due to their durability, customizable keys, and tactile feedback. In this section, we will take a closer look at some of the most popular brands and key types used by professionals.
When it comes to mechanical keyboards, there are several brands that are popular among professionals. Some of the most well-known brands include Logitech, Corsair, Ducky, Filco, and others. These brands are known for their high-quality products and innovative designs, which have helped them establish a strong reputation in the market.
One of the most important factors to consider when choosing a mechanical keyboard is the type of keys it uses. Some of the most popular key types among professionals include Cherry MX, Alps, and other clones. Each of these key types has its own unique characteristics, such as tactile feedback, actuation force, and travel distance, which can affect the typing experience.
Mechanical keyboards offer several benefits that make them a popular choice among professionals. For example, they are highly durable and can withstand heavy use for an extended period of time. Additionally, they are highly customizable, allowing users to choose the keys that best suit their needs and preferences. This customization can include the type of switch, keycap, and other components, which can be swapped out to create a unique typing experience. Finally, mechanical keyboards provide tactile feedback, which can help users type more accurately and efficiently, making them an ideal choice for professionals who spend a lot of time typing.
2. Ergo Keyboards
When it comes to keyboards that provide ergonomic benefits, Microsoft, Kinesis, Trident, and other brands offer split, tenting, and angled keysets that are specifically designed to reduce strain on hands and wrists while increasing comfort. These keyboards are particularly popular among professionals who spend a significant amount of time typing.
Some of the popular brands that offer ergonomic keyboards include Microsoft, Kinesis, Trident, and others. These brands have established a reputation for producing high-quality keyboards that provide superior ergonomic benefits.
Ergo keyboards come in different designs, including split, tenting, and angled keysets. Split keyboards have two or more halves that are connected by a pivot point, which allows the user to adjust the angle of the keyboard. Tenting keyboards have a slight upward angle to the keys, which helps to reduce strain on the wrists. Angled keysets, on the other hand, have a more pronounced upward angle, which helps to reduce strain on the forearms.
The primary benefit of using an ergo keyboard is reduced strain on hands and wrists, which can help to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive strain injuries. Additionally, these keyboards can help to increase comfort during extended periods of typing, which can improve productivity and reduce fatigue. Ergo keyboards are particularly popular among professionals who spend a significant amount of time typing, such as programmers, writers, and data entry specialists.
In conclusion, ergo keyboards are a popular choice among professionals who are looking for a keyboard that provides superior ergonomic benefits. With their split, tenting, and angled keysets, these keyboards can help to reduce strain on hands and wrists, increase comfort, and improve productivity.
3. Hybrid Keyboards
Brands: Das Keyboard, Anne Pro, and others
When it comes to hybrid keyboards, there are several brands that stand out in the market. One of the most popular is Das Keyboard, known for its high-quality mechanical keyboards. Another brand that has gained attention is the Anne Pro, which combines ergonomic and mechanical elements. Other brands that offer hybrid keyboards include Filco, Corsair, and Glorious.
Features: Combining mechanical and ergonomic elements
Hybrid keyboards are designed to combine the best of both worlds: mechanical and ergonomic elements. These keyboards feature mechanical switches, which provide a tactile and satisfying typing experience, as well as ergonomic features such as adjustable height, tilt, and wrist rests. This combination allows users to customize their typing experience and reduce the risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome or other repetitive strain injuries.
Benefits: Customizable keys and ergonomic benefits
One of the main benefits of hybrid keyboards is the ability to customize the keys to individual preferences. Mechanical switches allow for a wide range of customization options, including the type of switch, actuation force, and travel distance. This allows users to find the perfect combination of key feel and responsiveness that suits their typing style.
In addition to customizable keys, hybrid keyboards also offer ergonomic benefits. The combination of adjustable height, tilt, and wrist rests helps to reduce strain on the wrists and arms, which can be especially beneficial for users who spend long hours typing. By reducing the risk of injury, hybrid keyboards can help to improve productivity and overall comfort.
Professional Gaming Keyboards
- Razer is a well-known brand in the gaming industry, offering a wide range of gaming keyboards catering to different budgets and preferences.
- Their flagship keyboard, the Razer BlackShark V2 Pro, is a favorite among professional gamers due to its speed, durability, and customizable RGB lighting.
- The keyboard also features a detachable wrist rest, programmable macro keys, and a dedicated media control panel for seamless multimedia control.
- SteelSeries is another reputable brand in the gaming keyboard market, known for its high-quality products and innovative features.
- Their popular keyboard, the SteelSeries Apex Pro, boasts a sleek design and is highly regarded by professional gamers for its tactile and responsive switches, which provide an unparalleled gaming experience.
- The keyboard also includes advanced features such as RGB lighting, per-key programming, and a magnetic wrist rest for comfortable gameplay sessions.
- Corsair is a trusted brand in the gaming peripherals market, offering a variety of gaming keyboards to suit different gaming styles and requirements.
- The Corsair K100 RGB Platinum is a top-of-the-line keyboard that has gained popularity among professional gamers due to its exceptional build quality, customizable RGB lighting, and fast response times.
- The keyboard features a durable aluminum frame, Cherry MX Speed Silver switches, and a host of advanced features, including per-key programming, multimedia controls, and a magnetic wrist rest for comfortable gameplay.
- Logitech is a well-established brand in the computer peripherals market, offering a wide range of gaming keyboards to cater to various budgets and preferences.
- The Logitech G Pro X Superlight is a highly sought-after keyboard among professional gamers, thanks to its lightweight design, high-quality Romer-G switches, and customizable RGB lighting.
- The keyboard is also designed with a slim profile, offering excellent ergonomics and comfort during extended gaming sessions.
These are just a few examples of the popular brands in the professional gaming keyboard market. Each brand offers unique features and advantages, making it essential for professional gamers to choose the keyboard that best suits their needs and preferences.
Keyboard Customization and Programming
One of the key features of professional keyboards is their ability to be customized and programmed to suit the individual needs of the user. This can include:
- Macro programming: The ability to create custom key combinations that perform multiple actions with a single keystroke. This can save time and increase productivity by reducing the number of keystrokes needed to complete a task.
- Key remapping: The ability to change the function of a particular key or group of keys to better suit the user’s preferences. This can include reassigning commonly used functions to more accessible keys or creating custom key combinations for specific tasks.
- Keybinding customization: The ability to customize the behavior of specific keys or key combinations, such as assigning a specific function to a key or creating custom key combinations for specific tasks.
- Advanced features like media control and productivity tools: Some keyboards also offer additional features that can increase productivity, such as media control keys, programmable productivity buttons, and customizable lighting. These features can help users streamline their workflow and improve their overall efficiency.
Customizing and programming a keyboard is a crucial aspect of improving its performance and tailoring it to a user’s preferences. The following software are popular among pro gamers and typists:
- Logitech G Hub: This software is designed specifically for Logitech G keyboards and mice. It offers a wide range of customization options, including setting up custom key bindings, customizing RGB lighting, and adjusting game DPI settings. Additionally, it allows users to create and save custom profiles for different games or applications.
- Razer Synapse: Razer Synapse is a software suite that is designed to work with all Razer peripherals, including keyboards, mice, and headsets. It offers a wide range of customization options, including custom key bindings, customizable RGB lighting, and macro recording. Users can also save and share their custom configurations with other Razer users.
- SteelSeries Engine: SteelSeries Engine is a software suite that is designed to work with all SteelSeries peripherals, including keyboards, mice, and headsets. It offers a wide range of customization options, including custom key bindings, customizable RGB lighting, and macro recording. Users can also save and share their custom configurations with other SteelSeries users.
Other popular software includes Corsair iCUE, Glorious Core, and HyperX NGenuity. These software suites offer similar customization options and are widely used by pro gamers and typists.
The use of custom software to program and customize keyboards provides a significant advantage to users, as it allows them to tailor their user experience and enhance their performance. By creating custom profiles for different games or applications, users can ensure that their most frequently used commands are easily accessible, which can improve their reaction times and overall performance. Additionally, customizable RGB lighting can help users to better focus on their tasks by providing visual cues and alerts. Overall, the use of custom software is an essential aspect of optimizing a keyboard’s performance and is widely utilized by pro gamers and typists.
The Future of Keyboards
As technology advances, battery-free keyboards are becoming increasingly popular among professionals. These keyboards use kinetic energy generated by typing to power the keys, eliminating the need for batteries or external power sources. This technology has several advantages, including increased durability, reliability, and convenience. Battery-free keyboards are also eco-friendly, as they do not contribute to electronic waste.
Haptic feedback technology is another emerging trend in keyboard design. This technology provides tactile feedback to the user, allowing them to feel a range of sensations when typing. Haptic feedback can enhance the typing experience by providing feedback on key presses, alerting users to typos, and improving typing accuracy. Some professional keyboard users prefer haptic feedback keyboards because they can reduce the time and effort required to correct mistakes.
E-ink keycaps are a relatively new technology that has gained popularity among some professionals. These keycaps use electronic ink to display text and images on the keycap itself, eliminating the need for a separate display. This technology has several advantages, including improved visibility in low-light conditions, reduced glare, and the ability to display custom images or graphics. Some e-ink keycaps are also interactive, allowing users to interact with the keycap using touch or gesture controls.
Advanced ergonomic designs
Finally, advanced ergonomic designs are becoming increasingly popular among professionals who spend long hours typing. These keyboards are designed to reduce strain and fatigue on the hands, wrists, and arms, by incorporating features such as adjustable height, tilt, and angle. Some advanced ergonomic keyboards also include features such as built-in palm rests, adjustable backlighting, and adjustable key resistance. These features can help to improve typing comfort and reduce the risk of injury over time.
Sustainability and Environmental Impact
- Eco-friendly materials: As environmental concerns become increasingly pressing, there is a growing demand for keyboards made from eco-friendly materials. This includes keyboards made from sustainably sourced wood, bamboo, and recycled plastics. Some manufacturers are even experimenting with mushrooms as a potential material for keyboards, as they can be grown and harvested without damaging the environment.
- Extended lifespan: Keyboards with longer lifespans not only reduce electronic waste but also save resources by reducing the need for frequent replacements. Some keyboards are designed to last up to 10 years or more, reducing the need for frequent replacements and minimizing the environmental impact of electronic waste.
- Repairability and modularity: Keyboards that are designed to be repaired and upgraded are less likely to end up in landfills. Some manufacturers are designing keyboards with modular components, making it easier to repair and upgrade them. This approach not only reduces electronic waste but also encourages a more sustainable approach to product design and consumption.
- Reduced electronic waste: Electronic waste is a growing problem worldwide, and keyboards are a significant contributor to this waste. Manufacturers are starting to address this issue by designing keyboards that are more durable, repairable, and recyclable. They are also taking responsibility for the end-of-life disposal of their products, ensuring that they are properly disposed of or recycled.
1. What is the most popular keyboard among professional gamers?
The most popular keyboard among professional gamers is the Logitech G Pro X Mechanical Keyboard. It features tactile switches that provide a balanced feel for both gaming and typing, and it’s also durable and customizable. Additionally, it has a compact design and a USB passthrough port for easy cable management. Many professional gamers prefer this keyboard for its performance and versatility.
2. Are mechanical keyboards necessary for professional gaming?
Mechanical keyboards are not necessary for professional gaming, but they are highly recommended. While some gamers prefer membrane keyboards or even virtual keyboard apps, mechanical keyboards offer several advantages that can enhance gaming performance. They provide a more tactile and responsive typing experience, which can improve accuracy and reduce fatigue during long gaming sessions. Additionally, mechanical keyboards are more durable and can withstand heavy use. However, the choice of keyboard ultimately depends on personal preference and individual needs.
3. What features should I look for in a professional gaming keyboard?
When looking for a professional gaming keyboard, there are several features to consider. First, consider the type of switches used. Mechanical switches, such as Cherry MX or Kailh, are popular choices for gaming because they provide a tactile and responsive typing experience. Next, look for a keyboard with a wrist rest to reduce fatigue during long gaming sessions. A programmable key mapping feature is also useful for customizing keyboard functions and improving gaming performance. Finally, consider the durability and build quality of the keyboard, as well as any additional features such as RGB lighting or USB passthrough ports.
4. How do I choose the right keyboard for my gaming setup?
Choosing the right keyboard for your gaming setup depends on several factors, including personal preference, gaming genre, and budget. Consider the type of switches you prefer, as well as any additional features such as RGB lighting or programmable keys. If you play games that require fast and precise movements, such as first-person shooters, a keyboard with tactile switches may be the best choice. If you prefer games that require more complex commands, such as strategy games, a keyboard with a programmable key mapping feature may be more useful. Ultimately, the best keyboard for you is the one that feels most comfortable and enhances your gaming experience.