Are you in the market for a new keyboard? With so many options available, it can be tough to decide where to buy. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the best places to get a keyboard, whether you’re looking for a gaming keyboard, a compact keyboard for your laptop, or a full-sized keyboard for your desktop. From online retailers to brick-and-mortar stores, we’ll cover all the places you can buy a keyboard and provide tips on how to find the best one for your needs. So, let’s get started and find the perfect keyboard for you!
Types of Keyboards
Mechanical keyboards are a popular choice among typists and gamers due to their durability, customizability, and variety of switch types. Some of the features that make mechanical keyboards stand out include:
- Customizable keys: Mechanical keyboards offer a range of customization options, such as backlighting, keycaps, and switch types, allowing users to personalize their typing experience.
- Durable and long-lasting: Mechanical keyboards are built to last, with high-quality materials and construction that can withstand heavy use.
- Variety of switch types: Mechanical keyboards offer a wide range of switch types, each with its own unique feel and sound, providing users with a customized typing experience.
Where to Buy
When it comes to purchasing a mechanical keyboard, there are several options available. Some popular places to buy mechanical keyboards include:
- Online retailers: Amazon and Newegg are popular online retailers that offer a wide selection of mechanical keyboards from various brands.
- Gaming stores: GameStop and Micro Center are gaming stores that carry a variety of mechanical keyboards, including those designed specifically for gaming.
- Specialty keyboard stores: MechanicalKeyboards.com and The Keyboard Company are specialty stores that focus solely on mechanical keyboards, offering a wide range of options from various manufacturers.
- Membrane keyboards are a popular choice for their thin and lightweight design, making them easy to transport and set up.
- They are also an affordable option, making them suitable for both personal and
When it comes to purchasing a keyboard, it’s not just about the main unit itself. There are various keyboard accessories that can enhance your typing experience and customize your setup to your liking. Here are some of the most common keyboard accessories:
- Wrist rests: These are pads that provide support for your wrists while typing, helping to reduce strain and fatigue.
- Palm rests: These are larger pads that cover the front of your keyboard and provide additional support for your palms.
Extra keys (media, function): Some keyboards come with additional keys that allow you to control media playback or access additional functions without having to reach for a mouse.
Online retailers (Amazon, Newegg): Many online retailers offer a wide selection of keyboard accessories from various brands, making it easy to find the perfect accessory for your setup.
- Gaming stores (GameStop, Micro Center): If you’re a gamer, you may be able to find keyboard accessories at your local gaming store. These stores often carry keyboards and accessories from popular gaming brands.
- Office supply stores (Staples, Office Depot): Office supply stores can also be a good place to find keyboard accessories, particularly wrist rests and palm rests.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Keyboard
When it comes to buying a keyboard, one of the most important factors to consider is your budget. Keyboards come in a wide range of prices, from around $20 for a basic membrane keyboard to over $200 for a high-end mechanical keyboard.
Mechanical keyboards are typically more expensive than membrane keyboards, with prices ranging from $50 to $200. This is because mechanical keyboards use individual mechanical switches for each key, which provide a more tactile and satisfying typing experience. Additionally, mechanical keyboards often have additional features such as customizable keycaps and backlighting, which can further increase the cost.
On the other hand, membrane keyboards are generally less expensive, with prices ranging from $20 to $100. These keyboards use a single membrane layer underneath the keys, which creates a uniform typing experience. While membrane keyboards may not provide the same level of tactile feedback as mechanical keyboards, they can still be a good choice for those on a tight budget.
It’s important to set a budget before you start shopping for a keyboard, as this will help narrow down your options and prevent overspending. Consider your needs and preferences, as well as any other factors such as durability and ergonomics, when determining your budget for a keyboard.
When purchasing a keyboard, it is important to consider the intended use. The type of keyboard that is best for you will depend on whether you are primarily using it for gaming, typing, or if you have any special needs such as RSI or ergonomics.
For gamers, a keyboard that has fast and responsive keys is crucial. Look for keyboards with low input lag and high refresh rates. Some popular gaming keyboards have mechanical switches that provide a tactile feedback and can withstand heavy use.
If you spend most of your time typing, you may want to consider a keyboard with a comfortable wrist rest and well-spaced keys. Keyboards with ergonomic designs can help reduce hand and wrist strain, making them ideal for those who spend long hours typing.
Special needs (RSI, ergonomics)
For those with repetitive strain injuries (RSI) or other ergonomic concerns, a keyboard with adjustable angles, heights, and wrist rests can help reduce the risk of injury. Look for keyboards that have a negative tilt to help keep your wrists in a neutral position.
When considering the intended use of the keyboard, it is important to take into account your personal preferences and needs. The right keyboard for you will depend on what you want to use it for and how often you will be using it.
When buying a keyboard, there are several features that you should consider. These features can greatly impact your typing experience and the overall functionality of the keyboard. Some of the most important features to consider include:
- Backlighting: Many keyboards come with backlighting, which can make it easier to type in low-light environments. This feature can also add a touch of aesthetic appeal to your keyboard.
- Customizable keys: Some keyboards allow you to customize the keys to your liking. This can include changing the color of the keys, assigning different functions to different keys, or even adding new keys.
- Programmable keys: Similar to customizable keys, programmable keys allow you to assign different functions to different keys. This can be especially useful for gamers or users who need to access certain functions quickly and easily.
Overall, these features can greatly enhance your typing experience and make your keyboard more functional. When shopping for a keyboard, be sure to consider these features and how they align with your needs and preferences.
Tips for Buying a Keyboard
Buying a keyboard can be an overwhelming experience, especially with so many options available in the market. However, with some research and preparation, you can find the perfect keyboard that suits your needs. Here are some tips to help you buy the best keyboard:
Reviews are an excellent way to get an idea of the pros and cons of a particular keyboard. Reading reviews from various sources such as online forums, blogs, and websites can give you a better understanding of the keyboard’s features, build quality, and performance. Look for reviews from reliable sources and pay attention to both positive and negative feedback.
Try Before You Buy (If Possible)
Trying out a keyboard before purchasing it is the best way to ensure that it feels comfortable and suits your needs. If possible, visit a store that carries the keyboard you are interested in and spend some time typing on it. If you cannot visit a store, consider purchasing from a retailer that offers a return policy in case you are not satisfied with the keyboard.
Keyboards come in various price ranges, and it’s essential to compare prices before making a purchase. Check prices online and in-store to ensure you are getting the best deal. Be wary of very cheap keyboards, as they may compromise on quality.
A keyboard’s warranty is an essential factor to consider when purchasing. A good warranty can provide peace of mind and protect your investment in case of any defects or malfunctions. Look for keyboards with a warranty of at least one year, and read the terms and conditions carefully.
1. What factors should I consider when choosing a keyboard?
When choosing a keyboard, consider factors such as the type of keys (mechanical or membrane), key switch type (Cherry MX or ALPS), size and layout, connectivity options, and additional features like backlighting or multimedia controls. Your usage and preferences will also play a role in determining the best keyboard for you.
2. What are the best online retailers for buying keyboards?
Some of the best online retailers for buying keyboards include Amazon, Newegg, and Keyboard.com. These retailers offer a wide selection of keyboards from various brands and typically provide competitive prices and reliable shipping. Be sure to read reviews and compare prices before making a purchase.
3. Can I buy a keyboard in a physical store?
Yes, you can buy a keyboard in a physical store. Many electronics retailers such as Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, and Micro Center carry a variety of keyboards. If you’re unsure which keyboard to choose, it can be helpful to handle and test out different options in person before making a purchase.
4. What is the best keyboard for gaming?
The best keyboard for gaming will depend on your personal preferences and playing style. Some popular options include mechanical keyboards with tactile or clicky switches, as well as keyboards with dedicated media controls and programmable keys. It’s important to consider the size and layout of the keyboard, as well as any additional features such as backlighting or wrist rests.
5. Are there any differences between keyboard brands?
Yes, there are differences between keyboard brands. Some brands focus on producing high-quality mechanical keyboards with a wide range of customization options, while others offer more affordable and practical membrane keyboards. It’s important to research and compare different brands to find one that fits your needs and budget.
6. How much should I expect to spend on a keyboard?
Keyboard prices can vary widely depending on the type and brand. A basic membrane keyboard can cost around $20, while a high-end mechanical keyboard with advanced features can cost upwards of $150. It’s important to set a budget and consider your needs and preferences when choosing a keyboard.